REVIEW | TAKE 5 | EDMONTON


Take 5 is what you would consider a real diamond in the rough. Located in the Beverly neighbourhood on notorious 118 Avenue, it's a humble coffee shop that has become, for many years, a local gathering place for its community.

Everything about it is quintessential old school. The decor is dated and the patrons are as diverse as they are interesting. Based on first impressions, you wouldn't expect them to be serving up some of the best donuts in town. Yet, they do.


Besides fresh homemade donuts, the menu is relatively simple fare: sandwiches, soups, and other baked goods. I haven't tried or seen their other stuff, but I also don't really need to. Not when donuts are in the equation.

The donuts here aren't fancy or Instagrammable a la Moonshine Doughnuts or Frickin' Delights (I've had both and I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of vegan donuts). However, the selection is pretty decent. Most of Take 5's donuts are made from yeast-raised dough, and they also offer up a couple of cake ones as well.

Individual rings are just over a dollar, while half of dozen is yours for only $5.75 (including tax). 

Honey glazed
The donuts here are very light and super fluffy. Texture is definitely on point. The glaze is nice in that it's really not too sweet, it's just right.

Blueberry fritter
Similar to the glazed donut, just with a few blueberries thrown in. Also available in apple.

Raised maple
Strong maple flavour, but I did find the glaze to be a bit cloying and overly sweet.

Hawaiian
This screamed childhood to me. Not sure why it's called Hawaiian (bright colors maybe?) as it's pretty much a vanilla dip with rainbow sprinkles. Also a bit too sweet for my taste, but my 5-year-old self loved it.

Dulce de leche
Had to get a chocolate donut for my sister, so I decided on the most interesting. Basically a chocolate glazed donut, filled with dulce de leche-flavoured whipped cream in the centre. Very subtle on the caramel flavour, but the cream was light and airy.

Honey cruller
The crullers are cake donuts with a denser crumb. I think I prefer the yeast-raised donuts over this as it was a tad heavy, but everyone has their own preference. Also available in walnut.

Before you assume that I demolished all 6 donuts by myself... food blogging is serious business.


I drive by Take 5 on my morning commute, so I'm happy to see an honest business doing well by serving up honest fare. I wouldn't be at all nervous going in; the place has its quirks, but it's part of the charm. Just go take five at Take 5, you'll be pleasantly surprised.


Take 5 
11801 48 St NW
Edmonton, AB
(780) 471-6037

Take Five Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

- CT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 


About

CT is a born and raised Edmontonian who started blogging as an excuse for taking pictures of her food.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf