REVIEW | SWISS 2 GO | EDMONTON


Swiss 2 Go is probably the quintessential definition of "diamond in the rough." The humble sandwich shop first opened in the Beverly neighbourhood before moving across the city to the west end. Flash forward to April of this year, they have teleported again, re-opening in their original stomping grounds on 118 Ave.

The neighbourhood can deter some from making the trek (just put on a brave face), but there's actually a lot of hidden gems to be found! With rave reviews and a 4.7 out of 5 rating on Zomato, expectations for Swiss 2 Go were unexpectedly high.


I actually drive past Swiss 2 Go regularly on my commute home during the week, as my workplace is just a few minutes away. On one Friday after work, I decided to stop by to pick up a late lunch. Unfortunately when I walked in, I was told that they were all out of bread, and that it'd be a 30 minute wait before a new batch of bread was done. Disappointed to say the least, but I made a vow to return.

I decided to try my luck and stopped by again on a Friday. This time, SUCCESS!

The store is quite big, with a large display case and counter where you place your order. There's a few tables and chairs on the perimeter of the restaurant, but I'd say it's more of a grab-and-go type of establishment. '2 Go' is in their name after all.


I decided to order two sandwiches, one for a late lunch and another for lunch the next day. Before I came, I knew I had to get the Italian bride, one of Swiss 2 Go's most popular creations (pictured is the regular for $7.99; a large is $9.99). Deemed one of Avenue Magazine's '25 Best Things to Eat in Edmonton' in 2013, the Italian bride has layers of Italian prosciutto, roasted red pepper, sun dried tomatoes, sliced Bocconcini, and fresh basil, all sandwiched between a homemade pretzel bun. The ingredients are finished off with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette.

The ingredients tasted fresh and the flavours indeed worked well together. My favourite inclusion was probably the basil, as it gave the sandwich a fresh, herb-y element amidst all of the other ingredients which were predominantly cured. The homemade pretzel bun, flecked with kosher salt, was also a strong showing, as it was dense and chewy with a nice, hard crust. By the middle of the sandwich, I did have to scrape off some of the kosher salt, as it was overwhelming the rest of the ingredients.


My second sandwich choice was the Thanksgiving (regular $7.99; large $9.99), which had smoked turkey, French Brie, romaine hearts, red pepper, mayonaisse, and mustard, again sandwiched between a homemade pretzel bun. This one was a bit more basic (I couldn't say no to brie!), but it was still well-prepared. I had it the next day and the ingredients still held up well.


I also couldn't leave without trying one of Swiss 2 Go's homemade desserts. There was a decent assortment in the display case, but I ended up choosing the green tea and mint cheesecake.

The cup was hefty and filled to the brim with a green tea cheesecake mousse and what I believe were biscuits, soaked in a mint-flavoured syrup. The green tea flavour was quite subtle, but the cheesecake mousse was creamy and smooth. I wish the biscuits were there to give some contrast in texture, but they softened up while soaking in the mint syrup I presume. 


Expectations were high going in, and I'm happy to say that expectations were met! The Italian bride is probably your best bet, but there's a ton of other sandwiches, soups, and salads to choose from, all crafted and hand-made with care. If you haven't already, go to Swiss 2 Go and get a sandwich (to go)! (A+ dad jokes. I'll be here all week.) ˘◡˘


Swiss 2 Go 
4306 118 Ave
Edmonton, AB
(587) 520-9400

 Swiss 2 GO Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

- CT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 


About

CT is a born and raised Edmontonian who started blogging as an excuse for taking pictures of her food.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf