SNAPSHOTS | YVR 2021 | DAY 4

Our last day in Vancouver was going to be short and sweet since we were flying home in the afternoon. Since it was a Sunday, our first plan of action was to grab brunch! As we made our way down W 4th Ave, it was funny to see two kinds of people: those waiting in line for spin class, and those in line for brunch. 


Our brunch destination was Jam Cafe, a popular Vancouver staple that originated in Victoria. Long lines are a common sight, but we came early enough that we got seated right away at one of their communal tables.



Portions are known to be generous so I went for a half serving of their pork belly benny ($16.00). This was a thick cut of fried pork belly served on an English muffin with red onion jam, a poached egg, house hollandaise, chives, and chimichurri. The pork belly was well-seasoned, with a nice crust and rendered skin. It was super rich and fatty so I'm glad I only went with the half portion.


All bennies come with a side of fruit, shredded hashbrowns, and a roasted tomato. Love the hashbrowns here! They're griddled to a perfect crisp.

 


LT went safe (ie. boring) and chose the old town breakfast ($17.00). Two eggs any style, with hashbrowns, toast, and your choice of meat. She chose the sausage which actually came out in patty form. I'm assuming this means the sausage is made in-house. No complaints, just everything executed really well.

 

 

MH chose one of their sweet options, the apple cinnamon waffle ($18.50) with sauteed apples, cinnamon, and maple butter. It also comes with a side of fruit salad. It looked amazing and I stand by the opinion that waffles > pancakes. Change my mind. 

 

 

After we finished eating, we walked down the block over to Their There. A very hip and cool coffee shop. We were greeted with a short line that snakes through the retail portion of their shop.

 


Their There offers breakfast and lunch sandwiches alongside their coffee/tea menu, but I was here for one thing, and one thing only. Doughnuts! They serve two different kinds: mochi doughnuts and crullers.



I'm kicking myself for not trying a mochi doughnut as well, but I went for their breakfast pancake cruller ($3.75). Maple bacon glaze, a pat of vanilla buttercream, and maple flakes. The cruller was light and airy, but the flavour was quite subtle. I do think I prefer the crullers from Rosewood Foods more.



I believe this was a cereal milk macchiato, one of their feature drinks that LT ordered. Super strong and bitter. Couldn't really taste the cereal milk. Then again, I'm not a coffee drinker so I'm not sensitive to flavour notes and the like.

 


One last stop before heading to the airport. Back at Beaucoup Bakery. I really needed more of their pastries in my life. I bought a box full of their croissants and scrolls to take home. Plus a chocolate chip cookie for good measure. Their cookie is a bit too crispy for my liking (I prefer crispy and chewy) but still good.

 


Obviously we were still stuffed, but we needed to take advantage of my lounge credits at the airport. At YVR, we were entitled to a meal at Stanley Park Taphouse. We just got two appetizers to nibble on. Boneless chicken bites ($14.99) in honey garlic and their avocado dip & chips ($12.99). Meh. Nothing special. The chips came in such a massive pile that they felt never ending. Perhaps we would feel different if we weren't so full.



8 months later (lol)... that concludes our trip to Vancouver! Our next vacation can't come soon enough! 

 

- CT


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 


About

CT is a born and raised Edmontonian who started blogging as an excuse for taking pictures of her food.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf