AT HOME | SPICY SALMON POKÉ



When you hear the word poké (pronounced po-kay rather than po-kee), you're no doubt reminded of Hawaii, where the dish originates. While I haven't been to Hawaii (yet!), I was inspired to make this dish while watching my favourite vlogger family (ItsJudysLife) document their vacation to Hawaii.

The word poké itself is a Hawaiian verb that means to section, slice, or cut. Makes sense, considering that poké is literally raw fish cut into cubes, marinated, and then tossed together like a salad. There are literally so many different versions of poké out there and the possibilities truly are endless.

The most classic recipe calls for ahi tuna marinated in soy sauce and sesame oil, among other ingredients. Instead of going the traditional route, I loosely followed a recipe by my new favourite food blog, Two Red Bowls. Seriously, their blog is goals.


The hardest part of following the poké recipe was finding fresh fish that was exactly that -- fresh. After all, I didn't want to kill my family via tapeworm. I scoured the T&T in West Edmonton Mall to pick up whatever we didn't already have in our pantry. They had a small selection of frozen sashimi-grade fish, but I decided to cheat a little and just picked up a couple of packages of their prepared salmon sashimi at the sushi counter.

While there, I also picked up an avocado, a package of tobiko, and seaweed for wrapping.


The marinade called for sesame oil, mayonnaise (kewpie ftw), sriracha, and soy sauce.


Aside from the mayonnaise, I kind of eyeballed everything else. A squirt of sriracha, a couple of dashes of soy sauce, and a few drops of sesame oil. It's pretty much trial and error, based on your own personal tastes, so you might have to sample and adjust as you go along.


Before mixing: the salmon sashimi cubed up, chunks of avocado, a couple of heaping teaspoons of tobiko, and the aforementioned marinade.


And because I'm a dork, I plated it up real pretty using some of the garnishes from the sashimi platters.


You can eat it as is, or you can serve it on top of salad or rice. My family and I just wrapped it up in seaweed and were good to go.

Aloha!

- CT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 


About

CT is a born and raised Edmontonian who started blogging as an excuse for taking pictures of her food.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf